Simple Yet Determined

Sunday, 1 June 2008

article to share...

here is a article to share...

some years ago, i used to play competitve chess. Nothing high powered. Just league games for my local club and the occasional weekend tournament. when i first started playing i lost games after game simply through running out of time. In a serious chess game, each player has a limited amount of time to make his moves. If a player exceeds the time limit, he loses the game regardless of the position on the board.

I used to agonise so much over my moves that i constantly got into "time trouble" and lost games that otherwise i might have won. There was, of course, a straightforward solution: I simply had to move faster. But, try as i might, i couldn't break the habit of playing slowly.

This went on for months. Before every game i swore to myself and my team-mates that i would move more quickly. But all to no avail. I simply couldn't speed up. This continued until in finally dawned on me why i played so slowly. It was sheer cowardice. I wanted to run out of time because i wanted to have an excuse for losing. At the end of a game, i wanted to be able to say: "Poor me. I was doing so well... but i ran out of time." Otherwise i would have to face up to the unpalatable truth that my opponent had simply outplayed me.

From that time on, i was able to play more quickly. I accepted the possibility that i might lose, fair-and-square, to a more skilled opponent. No excuses.

Based on what the story above, i somehow saw myself in this story. Some time i afraid to lose or whatever, i will find something to cover it. Simply is excuse. Since i am already drop to the lowest, maybe i should learnt how to expose myself and learnt to accept defeat. didn't need to care what ppl think of it. What matter most is after everything, what person i will become. :) need time to achieve it. i will try.

Life is more rewarding and more fun when you are willing to face- and perhaps even to embrace defeat. Success come only to those who have the courage to fail. There is no gurarantee of a Hollwood ending. But each defeat nobly endured is a kind of victory= a victory of character, if nothing else.

By: Gary Hayden

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home